British High Commission Jobs In Nigeria : Health & Safety/Compliance Officer
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Health & Safety/Compliance Officer
Ref No: 13/17 ABJ Grade: A2 (L)
Main Purpose of Job
- Reporting directly to the Corporate Services Manager and the candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing health and safety procedures
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure Post meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including recommended mandatory training and reporting.
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, safety inspections, risk assessments and lone working procedures are managed and employees are aware of their responsibilities.
- Co-ordinate the development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures.
- Establish a full programme of documented health & safety inspections, audits and checks.
- Establish a structured programme of health & safety training throughout Post.
- Act as Secretary for Post Health & Safety Committee meetings and ensure all agreed action points are completed within deadlines.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work and communicate relevant changes to stakeholders.
- Provide regular reports to Post Health and Safety Committee on relevant health and safety activities.
- Liaise with suppliers for procurement of health and safety resources
- Any other duties which may be required by management from time to time
- Assist wider Corporate Services team with Audit follow up on health and safety matters. Provide compliance support across the core streams in Corporate Services. Working with Head of Corporate Services to ensure ideal scores on compliance indicators.
- Assist wider Corporate Services team with Audit follow up on health and safety matters. Provide compliance support across the core streams in Corporate Services. Working with HCS to ensure ideal scores on compliance indicators.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Health and Safety qualification or 3 years relevant experience.
- Experience in a building service, hospitality or Facilities Management environment
- Work without close supervision, but a good team player
- Experience or knowledge of environmental management systems
- Experience of administrative work
- He/she should have a proven background successfully generating, monitoring and achieving health & safety objectives.
- He/she should be an excellent communicator with great influencing skills able to build exceptional working relationships across all levels, confident in challenging unacceptable Health & Safety behaviour
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant Safety, Health and Environmental Business administration certificate
- IOSH and/or Nebosh ( or similar )qualification with proof of certificate(s)
- Valid Nigerian driver’s license
- Experience with managing H&S in building construction sites
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Delivering at Pace
Starting Monthly Salary
Application Closing Date 3rd November, 2017.
Start Date 1st December, 2017