Human Resources Officer At The United Nations World Food Programme
Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Reference: 57302 Organizational Context
- This job is found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ), and typically report to a more senior HR Officer, Regional/Country Director or the designate.
- Job holders operate with minimal supervision, and provide guidance to junior staff to ensure that operational and project objectives are achieved.
- They are heavily involved in day–to-day activities and analytical work. Job holders provide advice on low complex issues, applying HR rules, regulations and expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of activities.
- To deliver a professional, client-focused HR services, partnering with managers to implement HR solutions in line with WFP corporate priorities.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, and deliver HR operational activities or projects, following standard processes and ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Provide advice to managers and employees, understanding their needs and ensuring policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Provide effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, by administering conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements, and resolving employee relations issues.
- Contribute to staff capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and organizing/delivering development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Deliver onboarding activities which ensure new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organisation.
- Contribute to building and managing talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and delivering solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop a high caliber workforce to deliver business objectives.
- Support organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs, and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of HR activities that enables informed decision-making and consistent information for stakeholders.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by implementing new/updated HR policies, procedures and systems and recommending improvements to ways of working.
- Other as required.
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities Purpose:
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- Experience: Typically three or more years of postgraduate professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Broad or specialised knowledge of HR best practices, techniques and processes with some understanding of the basic theoretical background.
- Ability to supervise and support more junior and/or less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions and recommend a course of action.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and provide client oriented service. Ability to identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to quickly assimilate, UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications must be submitted online, and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Closing Date 15th July, 2017.