Humanitarian Advocacy Officer Job At Oxfam Nigeria
Job Title: Humanitarian Advocacy Officer
Department: Humanitarian Job Family: Programme Reporting Line: Campaigns Manager Grade Level :D2 Duration: Eight (8) months with possibility of extension
- To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
- The Humanitarian Advocacy Officer will be part of the Campaign, Policy, Advocacy and Media team whose main purpose is to advocate for civilians’ rights in the North-East of Nigeria, through ensuring access to life-saving humanitarian assistance with dignity and in safety, protection of civilians (including gender-based violence) and addressing drivers of conflict.
- To deliver Oxfam advocacy efforts to respond to the humanitarian crisis in the North-East of Nigeria under the supervision of the Lake Chad Basin Policy Lead and accordingly to the Lake Chad Basin Campaign Strategy’s objectives.
- The post holder will work with Oxfam’s programme staff and partners in country, contributing to Oxfam’s national and regional advocacy efforts. Focus areas include ensuring that the people in areas affected by the humanitarian crisis can access life-saving humanitarian aid and are protected from violence.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Strategy and Advocacy Development:
- Lead the development of strategic plans for advocacy on humanitarian and conflict-related issues in Nigeria, working closely with programme teams
- Monitor and analyse humanitarian issues in country and report updates to the campaigns team and to the broader humanitarian program team through regular updates and briefing notes
- Under the supervision of the policy lead, support the development and delivery of policy products (talking points, policy papers, briefings, letters…) and ensure that policy messages are in line with Oxfam’s global positions and strategic priorities and grounded in programme realities
- Support the establishment of research and/or data collection for evidence based advocacy
- Advise and brief Oxfam colleagues ahead of external meetings or in decision-making fora
Advocacy and External Relations:
- Represent Oxfam at external meetings and build relationships with key targets in the UN INGOs and government bodies
- Develop a strong network of trusted relationships among federal and state authorities and institutions involved in the humanitarian response
- Define key advocacy messages to be shared on behalf of Oxfam with key decision makers in Nigeria
- Work closely with media colleagues to support policy analysis and information into media and social media products
Support national civil society organizations:
- Develop a strategy to work with and support federal and national civil society organizations to advocate on the humanitarian situation in North-East Nigeria
- Build long-term relationship with civil society organizations
- Provide training on advocacy tactics and strategy as required
- Support advocacy efforts of civil society organizations accordingly to the strategy
- Establish and strengthen CSO networking and advocacy coordination
Contribute to Oxfam’s National, Regional and Global Advocacy efforts:
- Support the development and implementation of the Lake Chad Basin Campaign Strategy as required
- Coordinate advocacy efforts through regular communication with Lake Chad Basin advocacy officers
- Contribute through case studies, examples and analysis to Oxfam global policy debates
- Any other task as assigned and in collaboration with the Policy Lead.
Skills and Experience Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science/International Affairs/Social Science, Humanitarian Action, Peace and Conflict or related subjects. Advanced degree in related field is an advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in advocacy, research, policy, lobbying, media work or public campaigning
- Substantial work experience in humanitarian contexts, including policy development, advocacy and networking
- Understanding of humanitarian response, conflict resolution strategies and international human rights/humanitarian law
- Experience of independently driving and advocacy development and managing delivery of advocacy strategies
- Strong understanding of the Nigerian political context and the humanitarian context in the North-East of the country
- Experience applying gender analysis and accountability standards in designing advocacy for women, girls, boys and men
- Experience in working with civil society organizations
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, and ability to think and operate independently, creatively and strategically
- Excellent representational and lobbying skills and experience of advocacy with senior decision-makers: persuasive, diplomatic and articulate
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to write substantial in depth analysis
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight or unexpected deadlines, to be flexible in work areas, to work unsociable hours as necessary and to be responsive to changing needs
- Proven collaborative and team player; ability to adapt and work in an international team
- Strong organisational qualities
- Willingness and ability to travel (time outside of duty station estimated at 50%)
- “Oxfam is an equal–opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc.”
Application Closing Date 26th July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment in English to: Ebeze.email@example.com with the position title as the subject of your email.Click here to download more information (PDF) Note
- Prospective candidate must be available and willing to commence work in a month after applying.
- Completed applications should reach us before the closing date
- Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.