IOM Hiring Senior Programme Manager [Immigration And Border Management]
Job Title: Senior Programme Manager [Immigration and Border Management (IBM)] Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P4 Type of Appointment: Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Context Working under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of IOM Nigeria Chief of Mission and with direct technical support from the Regional Thematic Specialist for the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing substantive expert technical support to, and direct management of, the full portfolio of IOM Nigeria IBM projects;
- Development of new concepts and new projects for that portfolio in close collaboration with key Nigerian government partners and with the donor community;
- Monitoring and analysis of national and trans-national trends relevant to the IOM Nigeria IBM portfolio; and,
- Contributing Nigerian perspective and support to regional IBM projects affecting Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Act as the IBM expert resource for the IOM Mission in Nigeria, contributing to all programming and Mission consultations relevant to the IBM portfolio, including areas related to border management, travel and identity documents, biometrics in the migration sector, training and organizational development for government capacity building, and related areas.
- Actively contribute that expertise to project development and implementation.
- Directly manage all programmatic and financial aspects of IOM Nigeria IBM projects, which together constitute the IOM Nigeria IBM programme, including direct responsibility for supervision of Mission staff and consultants working in that portfolio: ensuring close cooperation with all partners, guiding projects to successful and timely conclusion, applying quality control to all aspects of the various projects’ implementation, ensuring timely and accurate donor reporting and maximum donor/partner visibility.
- Actively mentor and build the capacities of IOM Nigeria staff in the thematic area.
- Lead in the development, implementation and monitoring IOM Nigeria’s IBM strategy, link and seek synergies between the Mission strategy and IOM’s regional and global IBM strategies, relevant strategies of other UN agencies, and donor/partners’ national, regional and trans-regional strategies.
- Identify emerging issues relevant to the IBM thematic area and contribute to the development of thematic policy and reports.
- Develop national programmes and projects in the IBM thematic area, and identify anticipated synergies between the Mission’s thematic areas (Labour Migration, Counter Trafficking/ Irregular Migration, Migration and Health, Emergency Response, Internal Displacement, etc.) in close coordination with other departments of IOM Nigeria.
- Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s IBM network regionally and globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant colleagues.
- Support regional strategic IBM planning exercises wherever possible, and lead country level strategic IBM planning.
- Ensure development and delivery of quality thematic training/workshops for Government of Nigeria (GoN) as required by project outcomes.
- Help ensure responsive and professional technical support to GoN through, among other activities, development and provision of information resources and training, border and migration management assessments, and related activities.
- Represent IBM in the country by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Chief of Mission and as requested by the IBM RTS and IBM at HQ.
- Develop synergies and partnerships with other agencies, as well as with potential donors, active in Nigeria in relevant technical programming areas.
- Cooperate, participate and develop relations with national organizations relevant for IBM issues and with key-donors for IBM projects in Nigeria.
- Participate and contribute to National, Regional, Continental and Interregional workshops, seminars and consultations, as requested.
- Provide advice to Chief of Mission and RMO on resource utilization and mobilization options for the Mission’s IBM portfolio.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience Education:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
- Strong background in border management (including border management technologies), travel and identity documents, biometric applications in the migration sector, and related areas;
- Experience of running large IBM projects and programmes, delivering IBM-related trainings/ workshops to Government officials desirable;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
- Good knowledge of IOM project financial management procedures and tools;
- Extensive work experience with Government or an International Organization in the thematic area;
- Strong planning, coordination and logistics skills related to implementation of complex activities;
- Strong communication skills, including good oral and written English as well as good computer skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point);
- A well developed or expert understanding of biometrics in migration applications, and an interest in advancing their understanding of this technical area;
- An understanding of the Nigerian public administration system and knowledge of the rules and regulations governing immigration in Nigeria;
- Very good knowledge of administrative and procedural aspects of project management approaches;
- Substantive experience in donor project management, programmatically and financially, with
- IOM or with a UN agency, will be an added advantage;
- Very good representational skills, including discretion and good judgment.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date 3rd July 2017.
How to Apply
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.