Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Security Adviser, the Administrative Associate/Secretary ensures effective and efficient functioning of the DSS Office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, and management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made as well as assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the country.
POSITION ADMINISTRATIVE ASSOCIATE/SECRETARY
Application Deadline :18-Dec-13
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Effective and efficient functioning of the DSS office;
- Effective communications and administrative support to the office;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management; Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists;
- Assists in preparation of Quarterly Mandatory returns and yearly reports;
- Assists in compilation of monthly security incidents lists for SMT/SCM/NGO’s meetings;
- Provides other finance and administrative supports as may be directed by the CSA/DSA.
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the DSS office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of the DSS office, ensuring an environment of professionalism and teamwork at all times, and setting exemplary standards of conduct for the team;
- Efficient and discreet management of the Chief Security Advisor’s schedules;
- Provides front office services to the CSA office, maintains cordial relationship with both internal and external clients.
- Organization of regular and ad-hoc meetings; preparation of minutes and summaries of actions to be taken; tracking of progress on planned issues; follow-up with focal points; Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Screening of all incoming communications, filter outgoing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, clearance and further action by other staff; wherever possible;
- Use of automated office management system;
- Maintains a database of addresses, telephone numbers and email address of all Agency staff, security agents and government officials ensuring confidentiality; Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Provide necessary administrative and finance support to DSS Office in the country;
- Provide logistics support to UNDSS field offices.
Ensures provision of effective communications and administrative support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Draft routine correspondence, interoffice circulars, general briefing notes, documents,reports, and minutes of meetings when requested, translations when required;
- Administration of travel, meetings, appointments and briefings of Chief Security Advisor Including drafting of background notes;
- Maintains and ensures implementation of Agency’s year work plan of key events keeping to the time frame and execution before deadline;
- Arrange for logistic and secretarial support for meetings, trainings and workshops organized in the office;
- Provides Secretarial, Logistic, Finance and HR services for all personnel under the Cost Shared Budget in the Agency.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for ERT Staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues;
- Facilitation and coordination of training as may be scheduled.
Assists in maintaining the Security Plan and Updating of All Agencies staff lists
- Assists in preparation, maintenance and periodic review of the Security Plan, Warden System, Building Evacuation, Fire Safety drills etc.; Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Maintain and update staff lists for all duty station;
- Provides support in preparation of policy documents such as MORSS, MOSS, SRA, etc;
- Liases with Agency Security Focal Points to ensure update of staff information.
Assists in preparation of Quarterly Mandatory returns and yearly reports
- Provides support for the preparation of quarterly Briefing Notes;
- Assists in preparation of quarterly incident report;
- Ensures accuracy of data in all reports preparation;
- Provides support in update and yearly preparation of incidents affecting UN staff.
Assists in compilation of security incidents lists for SMT/SCM/NGO’s meetings
- Assists in compiling List of Incidents for Security Cell, NGO’s and SMT Meetings;
- Ensures effective coordination and disemmination of information for the meetings.
Provides other finance and administrative supports as may be directed by the CSA/DSA
- Monitors attendance and leave matters for DSS staff;
- Provides all finance duties such as raising of vouchers, requisitions, etc using Atlas;
- Assists in all procurement and HR duties for DSS staff as the need arises;
- Maintains liasion with Agency Security Focal Points for effectiveness of DSS office.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the DSS office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity and promotes the image of UNDSS as security advisor to the United Nations Country Team. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization and has an impact on the accurate and timely implementation of the overall UN security programme at the country level. Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDSS’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Keeps abreast of new occupational/professional developments;
- Contributes to the learning of colleagues.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a broad range of activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of UNDSS office, including data/ schedule management, maintenance of protocol, information dissemination, flow and management.
- Confidentiality; Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Good communicator.
- Actively seeks to improve services and delivery time;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness by finding new solutions to address operational problems;
- Promote and persuade others to consider new ideas.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with fellow staff members;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others.
- Integrity: Ability to work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations;
- Professionalism: An ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Respect for Diversity: An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives. Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Higher National Diploma required. Bachelor of Sciences in Secretarial Administration is desirable.
- Minimum 6 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level; Jobs In Abuja At NGO
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc);
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of ATLAS (Finance Application Access Module) will be an advantage;
- Knowledge of UN Security System and Management will be of distinct advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential;
- Working knowledge of any of the three Nigerian major languages would be an advantage.
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
METHOD OF APPLICATION