Technical Adviser, Trachoma Elimination Programme At Sightsavers Nigeria
Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Adviser, Trachoma Elimination Programme Job Type: 18 month fixed term contract Reports to: Technical Lead – Nigeria Trachoma Elimination Programme (Prof Caleb Mpyet) Responsible for: Quality Assurance and support to National Trachoma Elimination Programme in Nigeria Job Holder: Vacant Department: Neglected Tropical Diseases Slot: 2
- Sightsavers is partnering with the Federal Ministry of Health to ensure wards the elimination of trachoma in Nigeria.
- The technical advisers are being engaged to support the oversight of the quality assurance of trichiasis surgeries support to the trichiasis surgeons and their supervisors across the country.
- They will be members of the Trachoma Technical Action Committee and report to the technical lead of the project in Nigeria and would be on par-time.
Job Purpose (the overall purpose and function of the job)
- The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust Trachoma Initiative is expanding its support to the trachoma elimination programme in Nigeria from August 2017 to March 2019.
- As part of the project two consultant Ophthalmologists will be engaged and will be responsible for the technical management of TT surgeons and their supervisors across the country.
- They will support the oversight of the quality assurance of: trichiasis surgeries and the training of TT surgeons to meet minimum requirements.
- They will monitor, assess and advise on the performance of lid surgeons and TT surgeon supervisors and provide general technical advice on project implementation to the Trachoma Technical Advisory Committee.
- Their remit will cover the all trachoma endemic states in the country and they will report to the Technical Lead – Nigeria Trachoma Elimination Programme – Prof Caleb Mpyet.
- They are expected to work part-time and will be on a retainer with daily rates for days worked.
- Their work will be based on an agreed project requirement with their line manager.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities Strategic Programme Planning and Development:
- Participate in strategic planning processes to successfully drive the direction and delivery of trichiasis surgeries and ensure objectives are met in line with national trachoma elimination programme in Nigeria supporting the National Trachoma Manager.
- In collaboration with the Trachoma Technical Advisory Committee develop guidelines and country level action and implementation plans for clearing of trichiasis backlog in Nigeria.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the programme to ensure that TT backlog trends are effectively tracked and the data collected is used to develop dossier for the elimination of trachoma in Nigeria with special attention to trichiasis.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Assurance:
- Support the national elimination programme in developing a system for monitoring and evaluating programme performance.
- Provide effective monitoring of and guidance to TT surgeons and their supervisors in the implementation of the trachoma elimination programme in Nigeria.
- Support the state supervisors in carrying out routine supervision
- Review and analyse reports of supervisory visits and provide technical advice to the state supervisors
- Monitor all ongoing TT surgery programmes for adherence to preferred practices
- Draw up schedule for surgical audits in all TT surgical programmes for quality assurance
- Conduct TT audits according to guidelines and report to Technical Lead – Nigeria Trachoma Elimination Programme
- Analyse report of audits and schedule frequency of further audits or supervisory visits
- Ensure appropriate actions are taken based on audit findings and, where appropriate, surgeon refresher trainings are properly conducted
- Consultant Ophthalmologist with at least five years’ experience on trichiasis surgery
- Having a M.Sc in Community Eye Health would be an added advantage
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience of working and/or collaborating with INGOs on eye health
- Technical knowledge on programme support for trachoma control in Nigeria.
- Understanding of the health system in Nigeria.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation of eye health programmes
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of a global team.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to deliver group training sessions.
- People management skills with a strong diplomatic understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
- Able to travel regularly on a national and international basis.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Change and improvement – Seeks continuous improvement in own and team’s performance. Assists and encourages others to adapt to change and implement new ideas.
- Communicating and influencing – Identifies the needs of others, uses effective approaches and styles to persuade and communicates to groups in an interesting and effective way.
- Decision making – Consults and listens to take clear and timely decisions.
- Planning and organisation – Develops plans considering all the resources necessary to achieve objectives. Monitors objectives and measurement systems on a regular basis, identifying trends and key messages in data.
- Delivery and implementation – Continues to perform objectives positively in the face of pressures from various sources. Ensure the team has a ‘can do’ attitude and customer service mentality.
- Team working – Encourages and supports team members to ensure contributions are recognised, delegates effectively and encourages working in collaboration.
Key Relationships (Internal):
- National Coordinator Neglected Tropical Diseases Federal Ministry of Health
- National Eye Health Coordinator, Federal Ministry of Health
- State Ministries of Health in Nigeria
- Non-Governmental Organisations
Key Relationships (External – Sightsavers):
- Implementation partners – NGDOs
- Sightsavers – Director of NTDs
- Sightsavers NTDs department, including the global disease advisors
- Technical Lead – Nigeria Trachoma Elimination Programme
- Project Director Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust Trachoma Initiative in Sightsavers
- Sightsavers Regional Directors, West Africa
- Technical Lead – DFID and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, Trachoma
- Country Director – Sightsavers Nigeria
- Programme Manager Trachoma – Sightsavers Nigeria
Application Closing Date 15th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download an Application Pack below (Application Form and Equal Opportunities Form) below and return the completed Application Form and Equal Opportunities form as two separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org Click Here to Download Application Form (MS Word) Click Here to Download Equal Opportunities Form (MS Word) Note
- We will be contacting shortlisted candidates for interview, shortly after the closing dates.
- We very much regret that in view of the large number of applications we receive, we are unable to respond if you are unsuccessful. I am sure that you will understand the need to concentrate resources towards our work.
- Please attach Application and Equal Opportunities form only. No CV’s accepted
- We’re an equal opportunities employer, and we particularly encourage qualified people living with a disability to apply.