TEGA Counsellor Vacancy At Girl Effect Nigeria
Job Title: TEGA Counsellor Department: Safeguarding, Other Vacancy Type: Consultancy Job Description
- We’re looking for a consultant to work with us as we help provide TEGAs (Technology Enabled Girl Ambassadors) in Nigeria with a counselling service to support their emotional wellbeing throughout their engagement as researchers for Girl Effect.
- This is a consultancy contract for an initial duration of 3 months.
- Once the service is set up and running for 3 months – to test its validity and value added to the experience of TEGAs – we then hope to continue the support if the pilot goes well and may possibly extend and replicate for an additional 9 month period.
- The counselling service will include two components:
- Regular sessions with all TEGAs face-to-face (ideally once a month)
- On demand one-to-one support through a phone service provided at a pre-established time (ideally once a week).
- Initial proposal with articulation of TEGAs needs and the approach chosen to adequately address them
- Induction meetings with relevant staff members of Girl Effect and partners working on TEGAs
- Consultations with TEGAs to better understand their needs
- Finalized proposal and activities work plan
- Implementation of the activities
- Support the evaluation of the pilot
- Final report with an overview of the activities conducted (i.e.. Number of sessions, number of face-to-face/telephone sessions); the main themes / issues raised by the TEGAs but without names or details; any learning for Girl Effect & implications for support provided to TEGAs. and recommendations for scale up.
- The consultant will be required to outline a clear approach to confidentiality and to explain this to the TEGAs on first meeting them.
- In most instances, we would expect the boundaries of confidentiality will be such that no information discussed within the counselling sessions will be disclosed to an external third party without the consent of the TEGA.
- However, the counsellor must also explain how they would respond if the TEGA disclosed a situation of abuse or harm and how they would act to ensure the best interest of the child or young person who is at risk.
- Within the confidentiality agreement, Girl Effect would expect to be informed if any instances where our staff, partners or operations had caused harm or abuse so that we could take appropriate action to ensure our duty of care to the TEGAs and others affected by our work.
Skills and Experience Required
- Professional training in counselling, social or psychological services
- Previous experience in providing counselling and psychosocial support to young people, in particular girls
- Ability to listen
- Have good overall communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously, planning and running support sessions
- Knowledge of the Northern Nigeria context
- Knowledge of Hausa Language
Application Requirements To apply, please include the following in your application:
- A proposal of maximum two pages outlining the following:
- Your experience as counsellor
- Your individual approach to counselling and psychosocial support
- How you view clients and how you envisage to structure counselling for TEGAs
- The importance of confidentiality and ethical behavior in working with TEGAs
- An estimated budget
Application Closing Date 25th August, 2017.