The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Business Development Manager
Locations: Port Harcourt x 1 Abuja (or Kano) x 1
Role Type: Business Development, Opportunity & Pursuit
Pay Band: Pay band 6
Reports to: Head of Business Development – Nigeria
- The purpose of this role is to enact business development across various products and services, including building relationships, identifying needs and enhancing opportunities with key accounts to meet business related targets.
- The role is also required proactively resolve issues, add value and ensure delivery on expectations. On a daily basis the role executes the country key account strategy and plan.
- The role will work closely with account management colleagues.
The English and Examinations Strategic Business Unit (E&E) is one of three strategic business units in the British Council (the others being Arts and Education & Society) all of which have the remit to build trust for the people of the UK by building relationships through aspects of our language and culture. E&E achieves this by enabling people across the world to access the life-changing education and work opportunities that are created by learning English or gaining valuable UK qualifications. Promoting the English language also provides a medium for communication, helping break down barriers of misunderstanding or mistrust between cultures. The British Council’s 2020 vision for English & Examinations is to be the world authority in high quality English language teaching, learning and assessment, as well as the International distributor of choice for UK professional and school qualifications.
The Examinations business makes a significant contribution to British Council financial sustainability, and as such, it is essential that the business evolves in order to maintain its position in a fast-changing operating context. There is a need to standardise and automate activities across the globe to deliver efficiencies, and there is also a requirement to develop new digital products and services to meet changing customer demands and competitive pressures. In a cost and resource-constrained environment, balancing the on-going requirements and allocation of funds will be critical, as will the integration and planning of the implementation of the different changes across a global network of 110+ countries charged with the on-going delivery of impact and income whilst changing key elements of the supporting operational platform.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role
- Understand and foresee country conditions to spot and act on opportunities
- Providing timely feedback on commercial planning scenario’s that have changed
- Achieving sales/ account targets and ensure customer satisfaction
- Identifying and developing value added services for B2C, B2B and B2G.
- Undertakes regular quality checks, provides feedback and implements plans and targets for products/services relative to Market need with Commercial Development Manager as primary focus is business pursuit.
- Undertakes financial monitoring, narrative reporting and reforecasting
- Overall P&L delivery for the country. Manages Exams team activities to meet (daily/weekly/monthly) agreed targets, schedules and deadlines
- Delivers income and margin surplus targets, ensuring new and existing business is operationally feasible and commercially sound working with Finance input/support
- Supports annual planning with Director Exams, in line with regional and global target.
Market & customer intelligence:
- Pulls together and provides Customer and Market intelligence to identify opportunities and works with Commercial Manager to prioritise lead generation.
- Analyses clients’ needs and tailors value propositions with expert support where needed. Input into Global Innovation and Business Development strategies working with Cluster Commercial Manager
- Enables commercial team in country to pursue sales and account management activities and advising on overcoming obstacles.
- Undertakes regular quality checks and reviews, following agreed corporate or relevant external protocols, to monitor the quality, consistency and effectiveness of service/product delivery.
- Makes recommendations on procedural improvements, resource requirements and other operational initiatives to drive enhance team performance, cost effectiveness, service quality and efficiency
Account & stakeholder management:
- Business Pursuit, RO influencing, networking and key account relationships plan and delivery agreed with Cluster Lead and with relevant colleagues on shared opportunities
- Identifies and shares examples of process/procedural best practice with colleagues in the country/region to drive continuous improvement in key account management and stakeholders.
- Oversees quality of customer experience on the ground, reviewing with Operations Manager and feeding into reporting
- Reports on potential BD
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records and data to support effective and coordinated account management.
- Coordinates and organises contact with stakeholders – e.g. meetings, conference slots, sending targeted marketing or thought leadership materials etc.
- Oversees strategic partnership management framework with key partners. Collaborate closely with Commercial Manager, Head of Business Development and Global client team.
Analysis & Reporting:
- Provides updates on B2B/Sales forecast, actively manages pipeline and drives demand in year and for the following year.
- Contributes data and/or administrative support, as required, to enable the development and distribution of high quality, customer and market-focused marketing collateral
Leadership & management:
- Motivates and encourages team performance.
- Plans and prioritises country’s operational activities, and supports team development towards effective delivery of services
- Shares intelligence and ideas with Cluster lead
- Exams Operational Teams
- Country/Regional Commercial Managers
- Director Exams, Country Director and Senior Leadership Team
- Customer Services
- Exams Regional Management Team
- Other Nigeria SBUs
- Country/Regional/Global Marketing
- Global Exams teams
- (B2B) partners
- Receiving organisations (RO’s)
- Schools, universities, education agents, as well as the government and corporate sectors
- Direct contact or managing staff working with children? IF YES. Appropriate police check
- Assessment stage – N/a
- Degree in any subject or relevant qualification – Minimum / essential
- Assessment Stage – Shortlisting
Role Specific Knowledge & Experience:
- Relevant work experience in a BD Manager role – Minimum / essential
- Demonstrable experience to sustain and/or grow a product/service in line with strategic priorities for income and impact – Minimum / essential
- Experience collecting and analyzing client/stakeholder feedback – Minimum / essential
- Takes a pro-active approach to identifying ways in which service can be improved, and takes these forward – Minimum / essential
- Demonstrated analytical ability and commercial acumen – Minimum / essential
- Business development experience in the E&E sector – Desirable
- Experience working with exams (or services related setting) – Desirable
- Assessment Stage – Shortlisting.
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Click here to download Job Details (Pdf)
Click here to download BC Behaviour (pdf)
Click here to download BC Core Skills (pdf)
Application Deadline 16th June, 2019
Note: Candidate should indicate on the supporting statement of their application which location they are interested in.
Similar Jobs In Abuja
Full Stack Developer Job At Access Solutions Limited
Litigation Lawyer Job At Alan and Grant
National Programme Officer At Int’l Organization for Migration (IOM)
Intern (Project Assistant) At Int’l Organization for Migration (IOM)