The incumbent shall, in accordance with professional standards, revise texts translated by in-house and independent translators, ensuring high linguistic and terminological quality of texts and application of ECOWAS jargon. She/he supervises the relevant language section and may also translate a variety of often complex, confidential, urgent, and important texts intended for different audiences. Facilitates the setting-up and updating of terminology databases and on request, provides advice on language usage.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
JOB TITLE: Interpreter (Portuguese)
INSTITUTION: ECOWAS COMMISSION
ANNUAL SALARY: UA 66,123.98 USD 104,330.42
DUTY STATION: ABUJA / NIGERIA
DEPARTMENT: GENERAL ADMINISTRATION AND CONFERENCE
DIRECTORATE: CONFERENCE AND PROTOCOL
LINE SUPERVISOR: LANGUAGE COORDINATOR
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Services all meetings as assigned by Language Coordinator and Management; Provides interpretation in relevant language combination, (simultaneous, consecutive, whispering, liaison) of speeches or statements;
– Routinely assigned to sensitive meetings;
– Language Combination: Portuguese A, English C or French C. (Any proven B language in either of the other two working languages of the Community will be an advantage).
– Functions as language team leader when assigned to a given meeting;
– Assists the Head of Language Division, as appropriate, in the screening, training and conduct of examination for prospective interpreters;
– Participates in establishment of terminology database, compilation of glossaries, etc.
– Performs other related duties as required.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
– Masters or Bachelor’s degree in Conference Interpretation from a recognized university or institute;
– 10 years of experience in Interpretation (four of which should have been as a staff Interpreter) ;
– Exhibits highest standards of split-second accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the style and nuances of the original and source languages;
– Demonstrated understating of how to “weigh” Interpretation teams;
– Ability to maintain highest standard of confidentiality;
– knowledge of terminological and reference research techniques with ability to use wide variety of information;
– demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
– seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally and keep abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession;
– demonstrated comprehension of every imaginable accent, in addition to coping with issues of speed and style;
– Ability to find proper cultural equivalents and take cultural context into account, thorough knowledge of both language and culture is thus required;
– Demonstrated capacity to uphold team coherence and booth manners;
– A perfect command of the target language and an excellent knowledge of the source language. Good knowledge of the third language of ECOWAS is an advantage.
– Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Method of Application
Applications should be sent to: b1InterpretsPtP@ecowas.int
Application Deadline: 16 June, 2019