Contribute to the harmonization of domestic tax laws and procedures within the Community in compliance with ECOWAS Directives and relevant laws of Member States, and ensure the effective implementation of the ECOWAS Fiscal Transition Programme.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
JOB TITLE: Principal Programme Officer, Domestic Taxes
INSTITUTION: ECOWAS COMMISSION
ANNUAL SALARY: UA 66,123.98 USD 104,330.42
DUTY STATION: ABUJA / NIGERIA
DEPARTMENT: TRADE, CUSTOMS AND FREE MOVEMENT
DIRECTORATE: CUSTOMS UNION AND TAXATION
DIVISION: DOMESTIC TAXATION
LINE SUPERVISOR: DIRECTOR, CUSTOMS UNION & TAXATION
– PROGRAMME OFFICER, FISCAL TRANSITION & DIRECT TAX,
– PROGRAMME OFFICER, INDIRECT TAX & TAX POLICY
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the authority of the Director of Customs Union and Taxation, contribute to the consolidation of the ECOWAS Customs union. Specifically:
- Work towards the adoption of ECOWAS Directives on VAT and Excise Duty harmonization and their implementation in Member States
- Work towards the effective implementation and monitoring of the ECOWAS Fiscal Transition Programme
- Work towards the simplification and harmonization of personal and corporate Income tax procedures in the region
- Work towards the implementation of the Community rules for the elimination of double taxation on income, capital and inheritance and the prevention of tax evasion and avoidance in the region.
- Undertake activities within the region to support tax reform measures for positive and effective domestic revenue mobilization.
- Carry out activities aimed at modernizing tax administrations and building their capacities
- Contribute significantly to work on the networking and sharing of information among the tax administrations of Member States and relevant stakeholders.
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Director
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the social sciences, business, administration, international relations, international diplomacy, public administration, sociology, history, law or political science from recognized university;
· have worked in a Tax administration or in taxation for at least 10 years at progressively senior level;
· Understand issues relating to regional economic integration
· have attended courses (local and international) in Tax matters.
· have a clear understanding of the role of taxation in the facilitation of international trade;
· demonstrated knowledge of international and ECOWAS regional rules and regulations relating to tax policy.
· be conversant with the functions and activities of regional and International tax bodies like ATAF and WATAF in shaping ECOWAS Tax Administrations.
· Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Method of Application
Applications should be sent to: b1DomesticTaxP@ecowas.int
Application Deadline: 17 June, 2019