Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria in Abuja, is inviting applications from suitable qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant, Foreign Policy and Diplomacy
Job Ref: 3262
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
Salary: 6,622,466 Nigerian Naira annually plus benefits
Term Details: This is a Locally Engaged Staff position (LES), subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Nigeria.
- Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a major in a discipline related to the job requirements (e.g. Journalism, Political Science, History, Sociology, Economics, Business International Relations, or International Studies) or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Advanced knowledge of written and spoken English
- Recent experience of at least 6 months working in an office environment using software such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and internet browsers
- Recent experience of at least 6 months conducting research, interviews, analysis or writing reports on topics related to local political, social, current affairs or economic issues in Nigeria.
- Recent as defined within the last 3 years.
- Experience using social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook
- The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests and/or presentations.
- Knowledge of local political, social, current affairs and economic issues in Nigeria, as well as regional and international security issues affecting Nigeria.
- Familiarity with usage of social media and understanding of its importance to an organization
- Knowledge of general administration procedures and practices
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Ability to summarize and analyze information.
- Ability to work independently, manage priorities and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts.
- Be action oriented and demonstrate initiative.
- Exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and cooperate.
- Experience managing and professional or corporate social media account OR experience writing press releases, speeches or other official public communications
- Project management
- Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- A working knowledge of French
- Experience working Diplomatic, Governmental, NGO or Public Sector environment
- Fluency in Hausa, Igbo, Yaruba or Pidgin
- Normal working hours are 37.5 per week Mondays to Thursdays (08:00 to 16:30) and Fridays (08:00 – 13:30)
- Work in high pressure environment
- Some overtime required (on week days and/or during weekends if job demands)
- Some occasional travel may be necessary
Condition(s) of Employment
- Nigerian citizen or legally able to work at the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria. (Please note The High Commission does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly).
- Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city or region so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
- Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security clearance) from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period. This includes a criminal and credit background check.
Summary of Position
Supports Canada’s objectives in Nigeria, São Tomé and Príncipe and Equatorial Guinea through;
- Developing and maintaining a network of contacts, including government, non-governmental organizations and private companies
- Producing reports, analyses and recommendations based on events in Nigeria
- Developing media (including social media) strategies to communicate to local and Canadian audiences
- Managing social media accounts day-to-day
- Providing general administrative support, including budget tracking and travel planning
- Planning events and advocacy initiatives
- Project management support
How To Apply
Application Deadline 17th May 2019
Interested and qualified candidates should Click here to apply
Area of Selection
- Open to applicants who are legally entitled to work in Nigeria, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Please note that the High Commission of Canada in Abuja, Nigeria does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
- The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
- Candidates are also required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: RSCEMA.PERSONNEL@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the Canadian official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The High Commission of Canada in Nigeria does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Nigeria which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
Similar Jobs In Abuja
Commercial Accountant At Abuja Clinics
Call Center Agent At Interra Networks Limited
ICT Supervisor Job At Medecins Sans Frontieres
Ethics & Assurance Manager Job At Mercy Corps
Medical Laboratory Scientist Job At Tabitha Medical Center