The Programme Officer Energy Access shall be based at the ECOWAS Commission in Abuja. He/She shall work in the Directorate of Energy and Mines under the direct supervision of Principal Programme Officer Energy Access and Alternative Energy. He/She shall be responsible for the implementation of all the activities related to sustainable, reliable and affordable access to modern energy services, under the coordination of the Principal Programme Officer.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
JOB TITLE: Programme Officer, Energy Access
INSTITUTION: ECOWAS Commission
ANNUAL SALARY: UA 49,106.81 USD 77480.72 / UA 56,591.37 USD 89,289.87
DUTY STATION: ABUJA / NIGERIA
DEPARTEMENT: Energy and Mines
DIRECTORATE: Energy and Mines
DIVISION: Energy Access and Alternative Energy
LINE SUPERVISOR: Principal Programme Officer, Energy Access and Alternative Energy
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in developing and harmonizing policies, regulations and institutional frameworks related to the improvement of energy access in the region;
- Assist in the Implementation of the ECOWAS rural and peri-urban electrification Master plan and set up a regional capacity to implement its action plan;
- Initiate the development of pilot investment programs for scaling-up access to productive use of energy and modern energy services particularly in rural areas;
- Establish a coordination mechanism with the National and Regional Multi-sectoral groups on access to Energy Services;
- Assist Member States to define national Energy Access strategies and policies and ensures regional/national synergies ;
- Coordinate the technical development of the Regional Capacity Building Program for investment and programs implementation in energy access;
- Coordinate the technical development of regional financing mechanisms to support Member States in raising funds for their national energy access programs;
- Closely coordinates ECOWAS work with its various partners on the Energy Access Program, and work to expand relevant partnerships;
- Contribute to the elaboration of programs to support the development and reconstruction of the energy sectors of post conflict ECOWAS Member States;
- Increase synergy with the ECOWAS Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Centre for the regional programs related to energy access at national and regional levels;
- Develop and strengthen the cooperation with regional and sub-regional bodies with the international organization on energy access (AUC, UN SE4ALL, Power Africa etc.);
- Represent ECOWAS Commission at the International meeting on energy access;
- Initiate projects and prepares project documents on any relevant issues related to energy access, monitors and evaluates projects implementation.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Renewable Energy, Alternative Energy, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering or a similar field from a university of recognized standing;
- 5 years’ progressively professional experience in the field of renewable energy promotion and development, access to energy services, energy efficiency, energy economics and bioenergy in the public or private Institution;
- Good knowledge and experience in the planning, preparation and coordination of energy programs and projects at national and/or regional levels;
- Technical expertise in energy policy, strategy and institutions.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Method of Application
Applications should be sent to: b1EnergyAccessP@ecowas.int
Application Deadline: 17 June, 2019