The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
Job Title: Programme Officer, Mining Development
The Programme Officer Mining Development shall be based at the ECOWAS Commission in Abuja. He/She shall work in the Directorate of Energy and Mines under the direct supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Mining Development & Geological Resources. He/She shall assist to design and execute programmes and activities towards optimization of benefits from extraction of geological resources in the Community, under the coordination of the Principal Programme Officer.
INSTITUTION: ECOWAS Commission
ANNUAL SALARY: UA 49,106.81 USD 77480.72 / UA 56,591.37 USD 89,289.87
DUTY STATION: ABUJA/NIGERIA
DEPARTEMENT: Energy & Mines
DIRECTORATE: Energy & Mines
DIVISION: Mining Development & Geological Resources
LINE SUPERVISOR: Principal Programme Officer, Mining Development & Geological Resources
SUPERVISING: JD_Eng_PO Mining Development
AGE LIMIT: Applicant must be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in developing and harmonizing policies, regulations and institutional frameworks for the development of the mining sector;
- Assist in the identification, designing and execution of programmes/projects and all other relevant activities in the extraction of geological resources;
- Liaise with related stakeholder-groups to promote the design and execution of other specialized programmes/projects to enhance the development of the geo-extractives sector in the Community;
- Assist the Principal Programmes Officer to promote the design and implementation by Member States of policy options that will encourage all stakeholder institutions and operating entities adopt relevant quality standards to enhance the competitiveness of the geo-extractives sector;
- Collate data/information on national, regional, and global issues on mining sector to inform strategic decisions towards realizing optimal benefits for the Community;
- Develop and periodically update a database of relevant Community-origin and non-Community-origin Experts and Institutions, Operating Entities, Suppliers and other key stakeholders in the geo-extractives sector;
- Promote activities that generally will enhance the realization of optimal benefits along the entire value chains of the Community’s geological resources;
- Participate in preparation of periodic Reports of the Directorate;
- Participate in the preparation of Budgets and Monitoring & Evaluation Activities;
- Participate in specialized technical meetings and conferences;
- Assist the Supervisor to create a conducive working ambience;
- Carry-out any other legitimate task as may be assigned by his/her Supervisor.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Mining Engineering, Geological Sciences, Geological Engineering or a similar field from a university of recognized standing;
- 5 years’ professional experience in the field of Geological Sciences and Engineering, Geological resources, Mining development in the public or private Institution.
- 5 years’ progressively professional experience in the field of mining development, geological resources in the public or private Institution;
- Good knowledge and experience in the planning, preparation and coordination of mining/geological programs and projects at national and/or regional levels;
- Technical expertise in mining/geological policy, strategy and institutions.
Method of Application
Applications should be sent to: b1MiningDevP@ecowas.int
Application Deadline: 16 June, 2019
Similar Jobs In Abuja
HR Officer Employee Data Management & Reporting At ECOWAS
Programme Officer – Promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-Learning At ECOWAS