The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
Job Title: Programme Officer – Promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-Learning
- The Programme Officer – Promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-learning reports to the Scientific Research and Innovation Division for all tasks relating to the promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-learning.
- He/she is tasked with contributing to the development of strategies and policies for a culture of excellence and e-learning and monitoring the implementation of the resulting action plans.
Job Type: Full Time
Experience: 5 years
Qualification: HND, Bachelor’s Degree
Division: Scientific Research & Innovation
Department: Education, Science and Culture
Directorate: Education, Science and Culture
Line Supervisor: PPO Scientific Research & Innovation
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Supervising: JD_Eng_PO Ex Sc et Elearning DRSI final ok
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Technology and Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities, Engineering Technology or a related field from a recognised university.
- 5 years of professional experience including relevant international work;
- Solid knowledge of ECOWAS policy on scientific research and innovation,
- Good knowledge of international or regional organisations working in science and innovation.
Role and Responsibilities
- Implement the African Research and Innovation Forum (FARI) as a platform to showcase the outcomes of research and technological discoveries by researchers in the ECOWAS region and beyond and open new opportunities for partnership between research and innovation stakeholders and the private sector;
- Implement the African Research and Innovation Programme (PARI), designed to fund research on a competitive basis by calling for applications for research projects that contribute to the fight against poverty; promote the mobility of researchers and equip research laboratories in the ECOWAS region.
- Implement the programme for the development of ECOWAS centres and poles of excellence in strategic development areas and ensure their monitoring and evaluation;
- Implement programmes in ethics and bioethics of science and technology;
- Implement the programmes in support of the ECOWAS Prize for Excellence in Science and the African and International Awards for Scientific Excellence;
- Develop programmes on the dissemination of research results through publication or support for scientific journals;
- Develop strategies and programmes to encourage young people and women to pursue scientific careers;
- Promote the dissemination of books, newspapers and science and technology magazines;
- Facilitate capacity building sessions and meetings in the relevant areas of expertise;
- Implement the action plan of the Regional Policy on E-learning and ensure its monitoring and evaluation;
- Develop e-learning training modules and course materials in the professions and areas of expertise of all socio-economic sectors in the region.
- Develop programmes for the promotion of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in the ECOWAS region;
- Encourage the culture of e-learning as a means of developing skills in public and private sector services (tourism, health, agriculture, finance, communication, transport, trade, energy, etc.), professional development and upgrading of the working-age population in ECOWAS Member States, etc;
- Develop innovative approaches to make initiatives related to Excellence in Science and Research and E-Learning more visible;
- Improve the use of modern technology, in particular to broaden access to the educational system through ICTs.
- Document reports and databases related to his/her area of expertise;
- Plan and budget activities related to the programme;
- Identify additional sources of funding and potential partners for the implementation of projects related to the programme;
- Effectively and efficiently organise the activities related to his/her programme;
- Prepare reports for the attention of his/her immediate supervisor;
- Develop cooperation with partners and Member States;
- Advise the Head of Division on how to improve the implementation of programmes and activities;
- Review all documents related to the Promotion of Excellence and E-Learning before publication.
Method of Application
- Application should be sent to – b1ScExcelELearnP@ecowas.int
Application Deadline: June 17, 2019
Similar Jobs In Abuja
Programme Officer, Mining Development At ECOWAS
HR Officer Employee Data Management & Reporting At ECOWAS