The incumbent shall, in accordance with professional standards, revise texts translated by in-house and independent translators, ensuring high linguistic and terminological quality of texts and application of ECOWAS jargon. She/he supervises the relevant language section and may also translate a variety of often complex, confidential, urgent, and important texts intended for different audiences. Facilitates the setting-up and updating of terminology databases and on request, provides advice on language usage.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
JOB TITLE: Revisor (Portuguese)
INSTITUTION: ECOWAS COMMISSION
ANNUAL SALARY: UA 66,123.98 USD 104,330.42
DUTY STATION: ABUJA / NIGERIA
DEPARTMENT: GENERAL ADMINISTRATION AND CONFERENCE
DIRECTORATE: CONFERENCE AND PROTOCOL
LINE SUPERVISOR: LANGUAGE COORDINATOR
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Revises translations dealing with subjects of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature;
– Translates texts of an exceptionally sensitive, confidential, complex or technical nature;
– Plans, co-ordinates and supervises the daily, medium- and long-term work of their translation section;
– Supervises the weekly maintenance of the translation log;
– Language Combination: Portuguese A, French C or English C. (ability to translate into B language is an advantage);
– Allocates work to staff, assigns staff to particular translation or revision duties;
– Directs the conduct of terminological research within the translation section concerned and assists the Language Coordinator in the preparation of terminology materials to meet the needs of the entire Division;
– Assists the Language Coordinator in monitoring the quality of in-house and outsourced translations;
– Regularly provides feedback on in-house and outsourced translations;
– Guides, counsels and trains or supervises the training of translators and trainee revisers, evaluates their performance and promotes the best use of their skills and experience;
– Keeps abreast of language industry trends especially technological advances useful to the work of the Division;
– Performs other related duties as required;
– Participates in recruitment exercises where necessary.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
– Master’s degree or equivalent in translation from a recognized university / institution;
– 10 years of experience in translation (at least four of which should have been revision experience);
– Demonstrated experience in use of relevant computer assisted translation software/tools;
– Exhibits highest standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the style and nuances of the original text;
– Ability to maintain highest standard of confidentiality;
– knowledge of terminological and reference research techniques with ability to use wide variety of information and to conduct complex research;
– A perfect command of the target language and an excellent knowledge of the source language. Good knowledge of the third language of ECOWAS is an advantage.
– Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Method of Application
Applications should be sent to: b1RevisorsPtP@ecowas.int
Application Deadline: 16 June, 2019